Natives Don’t Have Bad Hair Days – Care For Your Braids

By Ruth Swaney on January 28, 2013

As Native people, we take pride in our hair. It portrays our cultural identity, our values, and our beliefs. In the old days when most of our people wore their traditional hairstyles, there were amazing creations and enhancements. Some were for practicality, others were decorative and others were ceremonial. As I see pictures from long ago, I have to remember that our ancestors were using traditional products of the day and not today’s shampoos, conditioners, mousses, gels, and hairsprays nor curling irons, straightening irons, and blow dryers.

What also amazes me is the volume and color of our ancestors’ hair even among the aged. One lady of our Bitterroot Salish people believed that you should only wash your hair in a flowing stream (usually icy cold year-round) and never in a basin or tub and that would insure long, thick, hair which hers most definitely was. And there are many historic photographs of middle-aged and older Native people who seem to have no gray hair, either!

I’ve come to the theory—and professional hairstylists might agree with me—that part of the reason our ancestors’ hair was so magnificent and stayed that way was that they DIDN’T wash, comb, and fuss with it every day. In addition, the natural products they may have used such as greases and earth based paints actually served to hydrate and nourish it. Keeping the hair braided and wrapped such as with animal furs, strips of cloth or ribbon further protected the hair from dirt and damage.

I was watching an infomercial for the product Wen. It’s a pretty simple pitch: Don’t use shampoo on your hair because it will dry it and that leads to dullness and breakage. By the way, hair that keeps breaking at the root will weaken the follicle until—here it comes—the hair that is produced has no pigment, and in other words, is white or gray.

Over the years I’ve been in awe of how powwow dancers can produce perfect hairstyles that can last through sun, wind, rain, and of course, dancing. It helps that most Native people, especially powwow dancers, have abundant hair. But it takes much skill and practice to correctly fashion it whether for males or females. Look around the next powwow and you’ll see dozens of hands deftly braiding. Some people can do their own, like my daughter, who has enough hair for three people I swear. And some have to rely on others to get the smooth, tight, stay together look that is the crowning glory of the perfect regalia.

Beginning in the 1980s, French braids emerged as a trend for female dancers and I myself wore them because I had a short, layered haircut. Today we are seeing a return to the more traditional styles and more women and men are growing their hair long and keeping it that way.

Whatever style you’re using for powwow dancing, it probably requires hair products of some kind. The list of favorites based on my un-scientific survey is:

•   O.B., a 40-something woman with long, thin hair swears by Vaseline. Not one hair gets out of place when you use that, trust me. It’s also good for boys because they usually don’t like girlie products like gel or hairspray.
  • N.K., a 30-something woman with medium length, layered hair uses Aussie Instant Freeze hairspray. She claims this will stand up even to the wind in Browning, MT.
  • R.F., a 25 year-old man, uses Garnier putty to tame his waist-length, thick hair that is usually in two braids.
  • F.P., a 33 year-old woman with thick, fine hair uses Suave and White Rain hairspray.
  • P.P., a 63 year-old man uses “hair glue”. Don’t ask me where you buy that!
  • C.A., a 25 year-old woman with very thick hair uses Herbal Essence spray gel.
  • M.A., a 28 year-old woman with very thick hair uses Herbal Essence Touchably Smooth Anti-Friz Crème and Herbal Essence Max Hold hairspray. This is preceded by blow-drying with a Revlon ionic dryer and a Ginalli tourmaline ceramic straightener which, she says, “makes my hair awesome”.
  • My personal favorites for my long, dry hair are Got2b defiant pommade and V05.

Now go practice braiding!

TOPICS: Blog, Featured, Native American Culture, Pow Wow Mom's

20 Responses to “Natives Don’t Have Bad Hair Days – Care For Your Braids”

1. mdtulee says:

I enjoyed the article, BabyRuth. mdt.

2. jan charlo says:

Ruthie you rock..that is the second article i have read of yours in a week..you are a WRITER please keep it up// so nice to read well wriotten comments ot relevant topics..water rights and hair!!!

3. shelly says:

i enjoyed this article.. when i was younger my mom used to wash our hair in the rain water after the first rain… i never asked why but i think i will ……

4. Running Doe says:

I am honored to read this wado for sharing, my hair is very long i can sit on it, i use shampoo, i get from the native book, and also, keep my hair in non ruber bands for they will break your hair off, use very mild stuff for my hair, i have mine in french braid alot, wado for sharing Running Doe, Cherokee

5. Martin High Wolf says:

I haven’t cut my hair not even to trim the ends in 13 years since I cut it all off when my dad died. I only wash it once every 7-10 days and then I wash it while it is still in double braids. I use Desert Essence Coconut Shampoo and condition with Aussie moist conditioner-revitalisant. I’m 56 and have no gray hair and no spit ends.

6. Mnikaluza. says:

My Grandmother told me in the old days they would boil colligen which was from animal ears, and nose and boil it down until it formed a gel . Then they cooled it down and put it in their hair before braiding and it kept it in place and kept the hair shining and strong. Thanks for the encouragement and reminder.

7. Lena says:

Please, are you able to tell me who is on this photo? There is a woman om fb that keep stealing photos of NDN youngsters, claiming them all to be pics of her own children. This one photo included.

• Ruth Swaney says:

Hi Lena, the gentleman on the left is Levi Blackwolf, of Wolfn Photography. This picture was on Levi’s Facebook page and I know for certain it is him.

8. SaloliAliskisku says:

Great article

9. Leah says:

Sunflower oil is traditional for us in the northeast

10. Apache Warrior says:

I wonder how long it took them to grow there hair?

11. Sweetgrass women says:

I like this article. where I come from women don’t touch a man’s hair unless they are family. It’s told that if people who play with your hair, you’ll be bald. I’m still young yet, for when I play sports my mom braids my hair. To show the other team I take pride in being native american.

12. Bibi says:

I have been using nothing but coconut oil in my hair for almost 4 years. My hair is naturally thin and with a Botticelli curl. I started growing it out when it was about shoulder length and now its halfway down my back. Along with a natural diet rich in protein, and washes once a month with just conditioner, the coconut oil has helped my hair grow, thicken and become strong and shiny with almost no split ends. I owe it all to a desire to reconnect with my native roots.

13. Megan Chandler says:

This is going to be helpful. My 4yr old Cherokee daughter has beautiful ringlet curls. Last only lasts about 5 mins. I’ll keep some of these trick in mind for braiding her thin curls.

14. Brenna says:

I use baking soda and apple cider vinegar for shampoo and conditioner. Oh so shiny hair (not greasy) that can go a few days in between the washings.

15. native mom says:

Im a mom of a long hair family in a coastal community. i noticed that the wind is torture on the hair, hence people with braids have beautiful hair; also food and medications effect the hair, when i had surgery, the medication i was under took about 2 years for my hair to have a healthy feeling to it.love the article, anything that encourages our people to grow back their power.

16. riverbear says:

I once got a herbal hair rinse (tea like) from an Apache woman, after shampoo you rinsed with this tea, but the secret was leaving it in then after your hair dried you brushed out the remains of the tea, thickened my hair and made it glisten, i loved this rinse which grows in the southwest. the thing is I forgot what it’s name is and I want more. . Does anyone know this herb?

Best to you
    River

17. Joyce Williams says:

This helped me a lot. Thank you. I am half Puerto Rican and Half Native. I’m trying so hard to get my hair to waist length and I always thought if i leave it out and wash it often it would get longer. But now i see that i should braid it more and not wash it too much.