How to say Hello

By Paul G on March 26, 2011

Below are a few ways to say hello in several tribal languages.

O’-Si-Yo’

Yupik Eskimo

Ya’at’eeh
Dene Navajo

Source: The Indian Way CD by Mark Thiel

Purchase the Indian Way CD from Noc Bay

TOPICS: Native American Culture

8 Responses to “How to say Hello”

1. Theresa says:

I am interested in learning all I can.. My heart desires the native ways..

2. Charlie Smith says:

Greetings,

Large public school district in Elizabeth, New Jersey.
    Would like to have native american performers (dancers/singers) for an event on October 25, 2012 in Elizabeth, New Jersey.

Please advise,

Charlie Smith
    Elizabeth Public Schools
    (908) 436 – 5040

3. Edward Hammond says:

My mother and grand mother, her cousins,my aunts and uncles used to say buzhu to say hello in the ottawa language, here in the last twenty years or so, I learned another way, they say aanii.

4. Elizabeth Warren says:

How!

Thank you my great new and even friendly natives. I love you guys so much, vote for me–twice if you can!

No hard feelings, right? After all, it was just a little white lie–one of those would never hurt anyone!

Elizabeth Warren

5. Selina says:

Miyaxwen is also a way to say Hello in Desert Cahuilla
    (the x is silent)

6. Tobie Fletcher says:

Hello. I have what may be an ignorant question, but I’d like to know the answer. On the television series “Grizzly Adams” Nacoma (Don Shanks) would greet Adams using a word which sounded something like ‘shotazhi’. I don’t know to what tribe Nacoma was supposed to have been a member and I’ve always wondered what that word means. I assumed it was ‘hello’. I named my cat that word and never knew how to spell it, but I love the word. Is it made up? Thank you in advance for any response.