How To Make a Beaded Rosette Medallion – Craft Tutorials

By Paul G on February 6, 2013

This project will help you learn to do applique rosettes on a small project. Beaded medallion necklaces have been popular for both men and women dancers for many generations. These instructions suggest using the new beading foundation as the material to sew the beads onto. It is a stiffened fabric that helps you keep the rosette flat while pulling the threads tight (Figure 1)

Beaded Rosette Medallion

Figure 1

Materials needed for a 2 inch diameter medallion:
1 – Piece of Beading Foundation 2 1/8″ x 2 1/8″
2 – 3/4″ Brass cones
1 – Soft leather thong 42″
2 – Hairpipe
12 – Crow beads
1 – Piece of leather for backing 2 1/8″ x 2 1/8″
1 – Bobbin of “B” nylon thread
1- Sharps needle, size 11

1 – Piece of bee’s wax
Assortment of seed beads, usually size 11

The first step is to decide your pattern using the color beads you have. A planning graph pattern is shown here (Figure 2) which you can use if you are doing a centered circular pattern. Use color pencils and plan the pattern. For image patterns like the turtle in our photo, draw the image out on the beading foundation with a pencil.

Beaded Rosette Medallion

Figure 2

Thread your needle with a length of nylon thread. Pull the needle to the center of the thread length and double over. Wax the thread by pulling it through the bee’s wax block several times with your thumb over the thread.

With either style you will be using the applique stitch shown in Figure 3. Knot the beading thread and come up with the needle through the foundation at the starting point. Usually this is at the center of the pattern. The basic step is to thread on 4 beads, stitch through the foundation, and come back up with the needle two beads back. Then pass the needle through the last 2 beads, then string on 4 more beads. Repeat the process until you return to the start of that row.

Beaded Rosette Medallion

Figure 3

Figure 4 shows the pattern of starting the rows in the center of the rosette. Note that you start by sewing one bead into the center position.

Beaded Rosette Medallion

Figure 4

If you are planning an image design like our turtle pattern, usually you will start sewing the beads on the outside of the pattern and then add rows on the inside until finished. For example in the turtle pattern the outside outline row of the turtle back is done first, the turtle back is then filled in, and the head, feet, and tail are added last.

Beaded Rosette Medallion

Doing this kind of beading, you often have to select the width of the bead that will fit, especially the last few beads in a row. To finish a row, as you fit the last one or two beads in position, thread the needle into the holes of the first two beads sewn in that row. Pull the thread tight and then pass the needle through the foundation to fasten that row of beads in place. You are ready to start the next row by bringing the needle up through the foundation in the start position for the pattern. If you need more thread, knot your thread on the back of the foundation and then make up a new thread and needle set up as discussed above.

Beaded Rosette Medallion

When your bead work is finished, trim the foundation to match your pattern. Cut out a circle of backing leather to match. Attach the backing leather to the back of the foundation covering all of your threads and knots. A little tacky glue can be used. Sew edge beading to fasten the two layer together.

Beaded Rosette Medallion

Figure 7

Cut the leather thong to fit the necklace over your head. Thread the haripipe and crow beads on and sew the necklace thong to the back of the rosette as shown in Figure 7.

Beaded Rosette Medallion

Finish by slipping the ends into a metal cone and crimp the top with a pliers (Figure 8).

Beaded Rosette Medallion

Copyright 2003 by Loren Woerpel; Noc Bay Publishing, Inc.

Learn to make more Native American Crafts in our Craft Tutorials.

Copyright: 2005 by Loren Woerpel, Noc Bay Publishing, Inc.

Print Friendly
Like what you’ve read?
Join our newsletter to get the latest news from Powwows.com including Upcoming Pow Wows, new photos and videos, and more!

TOPICS: Blog, Craft Tutorials, Featured

20 Responses to “How To Make a Beaded Rosette Medallion – Craft Tutorials”

1. Judy Graeber says:

Wouldn’t you want the entire background to be beaded, say for the turtle?

2. geraldine says:

Fantastic both my parents beaded I learned a little and done a project with an elder once to get her recognized for her wonderful art we were on a commercial all winter with the beaded art we done. she has since became ill and I miss her. thank you for this it means a lot for our people to be able to pick this lost art up.

3. pam eakins says:

please tell me what kind of beading foundation are you speaking of. thank you

4. Zoe says:

You can purchase Pellon at Walmart or any fabric store. Pellon is also known as interfacing or iron on batting.

5. Victoria says:

Pellon comes in different weight. I would assume you would want a medium to heavy weight. It is not batting. Batting is a much thicker material, usually used for quilts.

6. choctawboy says:

For a backing I have used a playing card or any other paper of similar thickness!!! Works great.

• Joyce Mountain Lion says:

I have also cut my circles out of tissue boxes. I now save all of my empty boxes for my medallions, it is just the right weight and really holds the shape.

7. Sondra says:

There is a beading foundation called Stiff Stuff. It looks like that may be what they used for the project. I will have to attempt this sometime soon, when I have the time, materials, and patience to work on it. I have never used seed beads before, so it will be a new experience for me.

8. Robin says:

Thanks so much for this tutorial, I’ve been meaning to get back into beading. We moved a couple of years ago and I finally found most of my books, papers and beads, I will need to replace my wax and string. I think mostly I’ve been to scared to start up because I couldn’t remember how, but after seeing this tute most of it came back to me. Now comes the search for a good supplier close by.

9. redhawk74467 says:

I also make medallions on stiff cardboard. If I am doing a mediallion that will be on a bag I bead locking down each of my beads sometimes using the two needle technique and sometimes just the one needle. When finished I then add a second piece of material on the back to cover up the stitches and then bead the edges so seems are not seen.

10. Robin says:

Redhawk, that is how I was taught, I used recipe cards and made my circle to start, then covered it with a piece of leather.

11. iyeska says:

PLEASE don’t use pliers to crimp the tin cones onto the hide thongs as shown in Figure 8. The traditional method was to use knots in the thong to hold the cones in place, which are hidden inside the cone. (Mrs Sitting Bull didn’t carry a pair of needle nosed pliers around with her, yanno….)
    Anyway, I realize this is a common modern shortcut, but if you want your piece to really look much neater, more traditional, and not to mention historically accurate…… use knots. Not pilers.

12. summer says:

I’m new to beading and have no family around who knows how to bead(I live away from my tribe) and anything I find says to just use leather to back it. Is there a specific size? I know the thickness is measured with oz. so is there a thickness preferred like 3oz.? Thank you.:)

• Yolanda says:

I use different thicknesses od leather. 3 0z buckskin or deerskin is good or elk. If you use commercial grade cow hide try to get something soft and simular to deerskin. The thicker the leather the harder to get the needle through or the needle might break When i use thick leasther I have to npull the needle tghrough with pliers (takes forever)

13. Redmans wife says:

Thank You this answered a lot of my questions as well. Im a mama bear of five native babies. Last year I just winged it and beaded a big butterfly on a choker and my daughters leggings for her regalia. i did it free hand but I would like to learn how to bead with the graphing paper. But wow there is so many ways. However Im willing to learn! Aho….