Fancy Shawl Dancing

By Paul G on July 21, 2011

Ladies Fancy Shawl is the newest form of Native American Women’s Dance, and is quite athletic! Fancy Shawl is often called Northern Shawl, as it does come form the Northern Tribes along the U.S. and Canadian Border.

This is very similar in dancing and the bright colors to the Men’s Fancy Dance. The ladies wear their shawls over their shoulders, and dance by jumping and spinning around, keeping time with the music. They mimic butterflies in flight, and the dance style is quite graceful and light.

Emphasis is paid particularly to the shawls, with elaborate designs, applique, ribbon work, and painting. Long fringe hangs from the edges of the shawl, and flies round.

Find out more in the fancy shawl forum.

See more pictures of fancy shawl dancers in the fancy shawl dance gallery.

TOPICS: Pow Wow, Pow Wow Dancing

11 Responses to “Fancy Shawl Dancing”

• Paul G says:

Check out our forums:

We have a forum for each dance style.

• Francesco says:

You aren\’t Cherokee if you aren\’t an enrolled memebr. Write it on your application all you want, but scholarships towards college/uni tuition come from the Band themselves, not the government. An enrolled memebr applies to the Band, and still has to compete against others for a scholarship. It does not apply to sad little money grubbers who have never taken an interest in their heritage and only want to exploit the myth of free monies from the government. Would you apply for a scholarship meant for Black students, just because you had one black person somewhere in your lineage?

1. ken says:

I recall one of the best lady fancy shawl dancers as Ramona Roach. At the time she was dancing, she did steps and shawl moves I have yet to see duplicated. She was a pleasure to watch her grace and beauty she brought to the dance!

• Nancy Smith says:

I recently did a mixed media of this lovely lady from a picture that I found in a magazine (I think National Geaographic) not sure. My problem is that I only cut out the picture with her name underneath. I would really like to know more about her, ie, what Native American tribe or anything else that you might be able to help me with. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance and God Bless.

2. SHERRI STEBBINS says:

I WOULD LIKE TO DANCE IN THE CHEROKEE POWWOW BUT I DO NOT HAVE A SHAWL. I AM FROM FAYETTEVILLE ,NC RAVEN ROCK CHEROKEE BAND FROM STANLEY BETANCOURT GROUP. I KNOW ALITTLE DANCE BUT NOT AS GOOD AS SOME OF THE GIRLS YOU HAVE. SO PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF WE CAN. THANK YOU SHERRI STEBBINS

3. Sara J says:

I’m Sara and I would like to dance at the Chickahomany pow-wow’s for Fancy Shawl, do you have any tips on dancing?

4. Kamal says:

Hello
    Let me tell you about myself. I’m Kamal and I run a small business locally (not online) and a little shawls center shop named “Swati Shawls”. It is named Swati after its location (SWAT). The location is a tourist spot and Swati shawls are being greatly admired here. We have handmade shawls for women that mean the design on it is also by hand and shawls are available in different variety (material). The handwork designs are done by the local women at homes and are greatly appreciated. This is their forefathers’ skill. We also prepare shawls on order according to the customer’s choice. I would like to sell my products to retailers. I can send you the samples if you are interested in my products. I would like to hear from you soon.
    Kamal