cherokee-flag

Cherokee of Today

14 responses

1. Arlene Martin
    January 8, 2013

Would like a copy of this if that is possible…can’t seem to print the entire document.

• Josiah Hair
      January 9, 2013

There is a print friendly button (Scroll down to under the article just above Related Posts) on the page that allows you to print in PDF format or word very helpfull… Do not try to print page feature on the web brower it does get confused!

2. Opimato (Woundedbear
    January 9, 2013

well well this comment box works fine on this pc but not on my server so instead of me starting new post thread i can take care now. i see the statements about all the cherokee of mo well some of those are not cherokee but some are and u need to rephrase ur story line cause ur version is makeing me mad. but than maybe it due to fact i know that my gg is not from the cn. cn is short for cherokee nation. furthermore my gg grandfather is sioux and he has a role number and some how my family has family who are cherokee johna brown born 1881 is on baker role and he is cuz to my great grandfather clarence edward brown who is sioux but clarence was not born on the rez so please stop causeing hard feeling among the cherokee that the cn has abandon by saying if u don’t have a land role # u ain’t cherokee cause buddy u are dead wrong and if u don’t beleive me i know were a fullblooded one is at and he speaks his native tongue real fine and i mean the old cherokee nation east not the new style

3. Paula Hess
    January 16, 2013

I am looking for any Cherokee in my area. I have a friend who is in very bade health and he wishes to have a Cherokee burial since he is of the heritage. We are in Ohio. If anyone can be of help he would greatly appreciate it. Time is of the essence.He is failing fast.

• Pamela
      May 20, 2013

Paula, I sincerely hope that your friend is still with us or got his wish of a Cherokee burial. Hopefully, some of our brothers/sisters came to your aid. Best wishes, my sister.

4. James Skelton
    January 20, 2013

It is a new day for the Cherokee people to throw off the shackles of centuries of hate, apartheid and discrimination. We are The Kusa Nunahi (Creek Path) Tribal Band of Cherokee Indians whose Native Homeland is in northern Alabama in the Guntersvile area. We differ from the above mentioned ‘Cherokee tribes’ in the respect that we are all directly blood related rather than a ‘collection of Indians and/or adoptees’. Follow our progress as we begin our journey to be re-acknowledged as the fourth Tribal band of the Cherokee people. It is a global shame that more than more than 90 percent of Cherokee people are not recognized by our own federal government. Cherokees are the largest aboriginal tribe in North America and we inhabited an area in seven US states – a country the size of present-day Germany.

5. Deathz Angel
    February 14, 2013

I worked in an IHS clinic for 20yrs. During that time, I came across more blond haired, blue eyed Cherokees than ever. The other Natives of more blood quantum resented these people for utilizing resources for “real Indians.” I have seen & made a copy of a Cherokee enrollment card that said the person was “1/516″ Cherokee. Now how far back do you have to go to be 1/516 Native? The Cherokee have made themselves a joke, putting out cards like that. They have proof of Indian from 1/32 to the 1/516 that shocked me. EVERY person I run into that finds out I am Menominee & Dine tells me that they have Indian blood….Cherokee. I am never surprised, I expect it. Sad. So, Wounded Bear, why be angry? It takes only 1 red blood cell to be enrolled Cherokee.

• Josiah Hair
      March 11, 2014

Your stuck on Blood Quantum, Citizenship in the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma is by Lineal Discendancy just like all the 5 Civilized Tribes and for that matter a growing number of others such as the Osage, Quapaw, Seneca, Eastern Shawnee and others. To be a citizen you must trace a Direct Ancestor to a Base Roll such as in the Cherokees case the Dawes Roll of 1907. This Roll was based on Cherokee Nation’s own citizenship Rolls from 1896 and 1880. Yes they list Blood Quantum on the Blue Cards but that is a BIA Requirement. Btw the Tribes that have kept Minimum Blood Quantum as a basis for enrollment periodically have to lower it or Do what the Kiowa did in 1990 and make everybody Full Blood and started over!

• Josiah Hair
      November 5, 2014

LoL
      Be more Shocked! Some 20 tribes and more counting everyday use the same Criteria as the Cherokee Nation and that is to trace Lineal Descendant on a Base Roll. The minimum Blood Quantum is going away I know more Full Bloods that have 6 or 7 tribes in them that fall below the Minimum to enroll with just one!! The Tribe sets the standard for Citizenship so Blood Quantum is fading fast as that is no longer a Standard that can be used much longer otherwise we will breed ourselves out of existence! BTW I am a Brown Eyed Cherokee there are still a lot of us left still living in Eastern Oklahoma!

6. S johnson
    March 10, 2014

The comment on blonde blue eyed so called Cherokee makes me wonder how they get away with that. While I can’t figure out how to document my family’s past to prove who I am.and I am not blonde or blue eyed.i was told my grandfather changed his last name but don’t know what is was originally any one with an idea.

7. larry parks
    April 26, 2014

My name is larry im in your. Alls. Group. I am wanting to take a dna. Test. Where. I can get my card. Plz email me. And. Let. Me knw what i have to. Do. Thanks.

• Josiah Hair
      November 5, 2014

A DNA test is only used to establish Paternity or Maternity with somebody that is Already a Citizen. No DNA test can tell you which tribe you belong with or that you are even Native American. Only Primary Documents are accepted for Registration and those are used to prove you are a Direct Descendant of someone that was Enrolled on the Dawes Roll of 1907.

8. Don Ivey
    October 28, 2014

My mothers mother, my grandmother. I have been told all my life she was a full blooded Cherokee. And that she may have been adopted by, Finney’s, her full name was Etta viola finney shores. I was wondering if there is a way to find out without signing up and spending a lot of money that I don’t have and get tied up with a lot of spin doctors that’s just in it for the money? My grandmother Etta had 12 children and all had dark hair and dark brown eyes. Thank you for any help that you can offer. Be Blessed…

• Josiah Hair
      November 5, 2014

Some background information on Etta would be helpful to determine if she would have been listed on the Dawes Roll. Did she or her Parents live within the boundaries of the Cherokee Nation (Indian Territory) up to 1907? Were they recognized as Citizens? What are her Parent’s Names, if Etta was not listed then her Parents could have been listed that is IF they resided within the Cherokee Nation and were recognized by the Tribe as Citizens. This is Perhaps the biggest misunderstanding of the Dawes Roll, In order to have been listed you have to meet this criteria: Living within the Boundaries and Recognized by the Cherokee Nation as a Citizen. Usually this was done one of two ways they would have been listed on previous Censuses that the Cherokee Nation did of there own Citizens. One in 1880 and the other in 1896 which the Dawes Commission used to determine eligibility for Allotment. Registration with the Tribe today is done by proving that you are a Direct Descendant of someone that is listed on the Dawes Roll of 1907. So if not Grandmother then the Next generation back is just as good as long as they can be proven to be the Parents of her and that you can prove you are the Grandchild of her. Simple… By the Way the Dawes Rolls can be looked up online for a simple fee of $7.99 for one month on http://www.fold3.com no hassles, no issues I use the website myself…