March 3rd, 2020 Last Updated on: March 20th, 2020
I have reached out to all the events listed on our Pow Wow Calendar. I asked them all to update me if anything changes with their events.
This situation is changing daily!
With the cancellation of the SXSW conference, many Pow Wows are concerned. The City of Austin forced the conference to cancel. Some states or cities may decide to cancel all events in their jurisdiction. Please check back to this page often for the latest information.
From the CDC
At this time, however, most people in the United States will have little immediate risk of exposure to this virus. This virus is NOT currently spreading widely in the United States. However, it is important to note that current global circumstances suggest it is likely that this virus will cause a pandemic. This is a rapidly evolving situation and the risk assessment will be updated as needed.
Current risk assessment:
- For the general American public, who are unlikely to be exposed to this virus at this time, the immediate health risk from COVID-19 is considered low.
- People in communities where ongoing community spread with the virus that causes COVID-19 has been reported are at elevated though still relatively low risk of exposure.
- Healthcare workers caring for patients with COVID-19 are at elevated risk of exposure.
- Close contacts of persons with COVID-19 also are at elevated risk of exposure.
- Travelers returning from affected international locations where community spread is occurring also are at elevated risk of exposure.
Please follow the CDC's recommendations for prevention. These include:
- wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- stay home when sick.
- cough or sneeze into your elbow or use a tissue and put it in the trash immediately.
- clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- avoid contact with sick people.
- get a flu shot.
Coronavirus Pow Wow Updates
Most Pow Wows for March and April are now canceled. Check with them directly before making plans to attend.
Coronavirus Stories In Indian Country
- Wildhorse Casino and Resort Closed After Employee Gets Coronavirus
- Ready or not? Warnings for tribes as COVID-19 epidemic spreads
Have questions? Discuss with others in our Facebook Group.
You can follow updates on the spread of the virus in the US on a map from Johns Hopkins.
Home » Blog »
Explore Native Culture