How to Create Bead Work Applique for Pow Wow Outfits

By Paul G on February 26, 2014

Juaquin Lonelogde shows how to create applique designs for contemporary Pow Wow outfits.  The videos below include steps for laying out the design and beading the project as well as many tips and tricks from an expert craftsman.

TOPICS: Blog, Craft Tutorials, Featured, Native American Culture, Pow Wow

13 Responses to “How to Create Bead Work Applique for Pow Wow Outfits”

1. Cindy says:

Very interesting

2. sabine says:

Hi, thank you for this sharing. It’s awesome, always wanted to try this sort of beading work but didn’t know how to do it.
    Is there an episode where you show how to put the beading work on leather or fabric? Do you stitch it directly on it? and how?
    Miigwech.

3. Auna says:

The technique he is using is called couching. It is a great technique to use and the best one for that kind work that requires that much beading. Thank you for sharing these videos.

4. Pat Garcia says:

Thank You for sharing!

5. Susan Caldera says:

What is the name of the fabric that is attached to the construction paper and heat bond? Where can I purchase this fabric? Thank You Juaquin Lonelodge

6. Danecia Wandrie says:

Great video! I think it’s awesome that my tribe is promoting cultural & heritage for future generations. I hope young people will find this video and choose to do something positive to carry on tradition.

7. pateiwah says:

my family has used the crib and small size ‘puddle pads;
    usually used under a baby to cover a wet area and not require
    a total linen change it has rubber in the middle and fleecey flannel on both sides. also good for moc soles.
    one advantage to applique is you can remove it and put on another garment. my moc beading has been on at least 4pr of
    mocs, able to do a bit of re-sewing the lose beads. also
    dental floss is great for beading. water proof and boy is it
    tuff.

8. KathyThompson says:

I’ve always wanted to learn how to bead! Loved watching and listening. Thank You.

• pateiwah says:

there are several DVD’s and VHS’s that show how to do beading.
      different kinds. great to get the basics and then you can practice what you want.
      about.com and eHow.com and you tube all have beading.
      don’t be afraid you can always rip it out and start over.
      keep the project small at first so you won’t get bored or
      frustrated.
      teaching my grand kids to bead, ages 5-11.

9. Victor Walter says:

Man, this was awesome. Love seeing I’m not the only guy that knows how to sew. Great info on templates and loved the beading stuff too! Ok, I’m going to start beading. Go great with my copper jewelry I make. Thank you Juaquin.

10. Maxine says:

This was super helpful. While my gourd or peyote stitch is always pretty smooth, my appliqué work always comes out bumpy. Thanks so much for this. Can’t wait to try out this technique.

11. witi tehaara says:

so lookin forward to tryin this out

12. Glenna Jean says:

Very interesting and helpful. Great tips. I will give you one in return. To clean the gunk off your iron, simply take a small towel or washcloth and sprinkle it very, very generously with table salt. While the iron is warm, not hot, rub it in the salt till it’s clean. Works slick and the salt does not scratch the surface.