Duck Dynasty on the Drum

By Paul G on February 17, 2014

You never know who you’ll see at a Pow Wow!

Watch the video below to see Goodwin and Si from Duck Dynasty join in on an intertribal!

TOPICS: Blog, Featured, Native American Culture, Native American Music, Pow Wow

17 Responses to “Duck Dynasty on the Drum”

1. Kali Seney says:

Why would you welcome a known bigot who spews hate to your sacred ceremonies???? smh, it’s sad when people care more about “celebrity” than about what people stand for and who they are. That man has helped oppress millions of innocents.

2. Paula says:

Sad that you choose to lift up a bunch of bigots.

3. JJ says:

Hey check out this guy’s racism and homophobia! I will let his words speak for themselves. Not sure why you are promoting him. (also I already posted this but think it was removed or maybe I made a mistake). Love all around and hugs. Tolerance always. http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/01/17/duck-dynasty-ratings-down-28-percent-after-phils-homophobic-racist-rant/

4. JJ says:

sorry it did go up and I cannot figure out how to delete one of them, please feel free to do so….

5. Niki says:

Here it goes again…people have the right to their own religion and they still have freedom of speech. Otherwise dumb comments would never get shown. If someone doesn’t like what another person is saying, turn it off, or walk away, don’t just sit there on your high horse and judge. Also, if a person is really worried about oppression, wouldn’t they be doing more to stop it, instead of just watching Duck Dynasty. Oh and Powwows are open to everyone, they don’t judge. I think it’s nice that Si and Godwin went to the Powwow. I bet they had a lot of fun, I know me and my Son do every year.

6. Gillian says:

@Kali — I didn’t know about the Duck Dynasty thing until I read your comment and I looked it up. In all fairness, Si and Godwin are not mentioned as having said anything racist — it was Phil Robertson in GQ and then his son Willie defending him afterwards in a half-assed lame sort of way with “I believe what the bible says” (I will keep my thoughts on that to myself). I have never seen that show and have no idea who’s who, but I don’t believe in guilt by association. *Suspicion* of associates, maybe ;) , but not outright condensation, because I have had friends and found some of their beliefs conflicting with mine, but admired them for other reasons that made me tolerate our differences. I do get you — racism and homophobia are the things that turn my stomach and raise my anger the most, and I admire your taking a stand for freedom and equality. I just don’t know if these guys necessarily did anything racist or homophobic as individuals, and it would be a shame if they were judged by the actions of their coworkers and not on their own merit and attitudes. Peace.

7. Gillian says:

And in that comment above, I meant CONDEMNATION, not CONDENSATION! DYAC!!!! Lol :D

8. mathew scofield says:

Wow, its a shame. We should worry more about how to free our own people’s from the oppression of big government . All of our elders and children who are without and are victims. Standing together as a people for our future . Instead of nit picking over who was seen at a pow wow. The pow wow was an invention to entertain the dumb white soldiers their families and the settlers. This is not a Sun dance its just a pow wow. Focus on what’s really important in this life.

9. Paul M Kotch says:

What better way to fight racism that to introduce another to the beauty of your culture? Trying to force people away from their racist beliefs with laws and regulation will never work. You wont change hearts and minds with laws. Regardless of how these men may have felt previously, I bet they walked away with a newfound respect and appreciation for Native culture. That is the mark of humanity.

10. Pueblo Man says:

As a Native, War Veteran I believe i have grounds to say the following:

We as a people always welcome others into our circle, even while being ridiculed and oppressed. How can one no learn one’s own wrong doing if they are not exposed to the truth. We are a forgiving and caring people and PROUD. Why is it is Always a non-indian who wants try and stand up and speak for all of us as if they know our minds and hearts. We have a voice one that is loud and proud, we just don’t trust those who do not wish to enter our realm. Our hearts are pure and proud, though we may not be perfect we do stand out amongst the majority, still silent and proud. So if any of you think you are pure of heart and wish to learn and celebrate come join any circle and you will be well received “Friend”.

11. Denver Risley says:

Maybe these Duck guys are just there to be seen doing what lots of Anglos do; claiming native culture as their own.
    The natives are not going to learn how to behave from such people so they let the Duck guys drum a little because it’s the welcoming thing to do.

12. Brian Self says:

Ive read some of the comments on here. I just wanted to say that there may have been comments the man had made in the past, but if he was such a bigot or whatever, he would not have been on that drum. From the video he seamed to have really gotten into the song. I seen a man jamming away with the rest of them. Remember “A man” human being. This is what we all forget to look at. In all races, even us as the N8v. Put away all anger or our healing will still yet be delayed!

13. N8V says:

It’s the Seminole Tribe of Floida’s event. What do you expect? I hate to say it, but they sell out the rest of Indian Country with their continued support of FSU’s racist mascot. If you know members of the tribe and their leadership, you wouldn’t be surprised. I’m not.

14. jane says:

Wow, I just read some of these comments and I’m astonished at the hate they themselves hurl at others who they don’t agree with. These same people who claim tolerance sure don’t seem to show it to others. But I don’t see the whole story here of the Duck Dynasty episode. He quoted the Bible about a few things. They were then taken off (what happened to free speech here)because others didn’t agree with them, then when there was an out cry of the supporters of the program it was put back on…democracy in action for both parties. The latest was the gay community then said they would like to open a discussion with the Duck Dynasty group. Now, THAT is how things should be not hurling accusations (or name calling!!!) against others but talking and sometimes agreeing to disagree. He also said (was/is anyone listening?) that just because he disagrees with people does not mean he HATES them!!

15. Michael says:

The Pow wow was not an invention to entertain the white soldiers…it was a gatherin of our peoples to share stories and dances and connect with family and friends from different tribes. With all the competitions happening now is a travesty to the original gathering…if our people wanted to compete with each other..it was done, no money exchanged..just for braggin rights. The drum has the right to invite who ever it wishes into the circle…As a Christian American Indian mixed blood i don’t see what the problem is? Since when are homosexuals a race? how is it racist? prove the science that a “gay” gene exists and i will believe you…are some people born with more x or y chromosomes than normal? sure..but they are excess genes not a “gay” gene. Shouldn’t we all get along and walk the path Creator God has for us and lift people up instead of tearing them down…reservations have enough to deal with than worry about a Christian man welcomed at the drum…geez. :/

16. Judith Anne says:

Kali evidently you fell and hit your head
    There is not one bit of hate in the Robertson family they show only love of god and mankind . I hope you get your heart right before you end up in hell