Dawes Roll Poster

Myths, Misinformation and Motivations regarding the 1907 Dawes Roll and 1909 Miller Rolls

19 responses

1. Jo Olsen
    September 4, 2013

Thank you for sharing this information. This clears up alot of questions that I had regarding the subject.

2. Mary Bloodsworth
    September 10, 2013

My heart cries, I am by force, in disconnect from my ancestors, existing in unclear worlds, separated, by lack of a Number. Alabama born, South Eastern Cherokee, Eastern Creek. I am as much an Indian as those who are numbered. The history of Indians of the South, being hunted down, many times killed, their families treated as less than wild animals.My heart aches, thinking of their pain. So, it is true I am not Numbered, yet I am proud to honor the memory of my Elders/Ancestors, as I proclaim, I am Native American Indian. ” May The Great Mystery, bless us with peace, making way for compassionate inclusive change”

• Sandie Cheney
      September 14, 2013

I am also an Native American but can not prove it on paper but in my heart. I know what my great-great grandmother has pasted down to me. I ask The Great Father to bless all of us. I have been so blessed by your words. Thank you.

• janice degrande whitehawk
      October 9, 2013

this fills my heart. thank you for posting your comment, as i too cannot “prove” my cherokee heritage. and unable to enroll. i had decided i don’t need a number to prove my heritage, i know what i am. i practice all traditions of my people and walk the red road. thank you again.

3. Cathy Phillips
    October 9, 2013

So the children of a Cherokee mother and White father that lived in Choctaw Nation, could not be listed on the Dawes, since they were not living in Cherokee Nation? My Grandma is not included on the Dawes. Neither is my great grandma but she died in 1896. My great grandma, her siblings were listed on the 1896 Cherokee Old Settlers Roll. My Great Great Grandma was listed as deceased on that roll. But she was on the 1851 Cherokee Old Settlers Roll along with her parents and siblings. 2 of my Great Grandma’s siblings lived in Cherokee Nation. They applied for the Dawes. They were rejected. The Dawes Commission said they were not on any documents. I am confused. If the commission tried so hard, how come my ancestors were rejected?

• Josiah Hair
      October 10, 2013

Short Answer Yes… Long Answer: The Commission only listed those that lived within the boundaries of the Cherokee Nation, they did not list Cherokees that were living elsewhere even in other parts of Indian Territory. In my article I stated that the commission used the documents that the Cherokee Nation provided to them, Remember this was not to certify citizens or enroll citizens there ONLY concern were to determine IF those Citizens that the Cherokee Nation listed were still residing within the boundaries and were still alive! Was the Dawes Rolls perfect no it was not and yes we have found cases that were later corrected by the registration dept. in all cases though it was found that other members of the family were listed or that the person was listed earlier on say the 1880 Census! If you would like you can PM on powwows.com my user name is Josiah and perhaps I can look into your case and see if there is some information that can be gleaned…

• Josiah Hair
      December 1, 2014

This was possible, And here is why… Think of the 5 civilized nations as sovereign nations and any citizen residing outside of the nation would not be subject to the laws of that nation. So in the case of a Cherokee living within the boundaries of the Choctaw Nation they would not have been included on the Choctaw roll because they were not Choctaw nor would they have been on the Cherokee Roll for they were living outside the boundaries. I know it was unfair but that is not what the commission was doing they were merely CONFIRMING two very important FACTS, 1) Was the enrollee still alive and listed as a citizen of that nation 2) Did they reside within the boundaries of the nation they were enrolled in? If the answer was no to either question then they would not be enrolled! The Commission MAIN task was to ALLOT land to a Family (160 acres) or Single adult (80 acres) Not to Enroll people!!! This fact has confused people for years they cared only to divide the property so that a CLEAR title to the SURLPLUS land could be determined so they were only making sure a person that was listed on a previous roll (1896 or 1880) was still living and residing within the boundaries of the Cherokee Nation. I have found Creeks within the Cherokee Boundaries and they were not enrolled on the Creek Rolls… This also why they checked those previous rolls and enrolled people based on the Testimony of Neighbors or Kinfolk etc. once they found out the person refused to enroll and were still residing within the boundaries of the Cherokee Nation they confirmed the information they had and enrolled that person and family. My own Great Grandfather fell in this category he was a Nighthawk and refused enrollment as did roughly 5000 others and they were still enrolled and Allotment of there land was done even though they never claimed!!

4. Kimberly Kays-Wooley Jr.
    February 16, 2014

I am just starting my search into my families past. I know that I am a great deal Cherokee, but I don’t know much more than that. I hope to find the answers to the questions that have been in my heart for years.

• Josiah
      February 17, 2014

My suggestion to anyone starting out researching is start with what you know, your name, Mother and Father, Grandparents, ect, ect, the more information you know such as where they were born, birth and if applicable death dates the more accurate your search will be. I have heard so many stories of folks that go right to a tribal roll such as the Dawes Roll or Miller Roll and look for a name that matches and boom they try to connect that back to them. With no luck or worse they attempt to make a claim to the particular tribe. Understand this one fact: if your grandparents or great parents lived outside of Cherokee Nation prior to 1907 they will not be listed on the Dawes Roll. On the other hand if indeed they are Cherokee they will be listed on the Guion Miller Roll unless they were old settler then in that case they will be listed on the 1896 Old Settler payment. Cherokees have many many sources to prove Heritage, you just may not be able to prove for citizenship sake. Good Luck
      Josiah

5. taltsuska
    February 27, 2014

Great article! I look forward to others

6. kamama
    December 5, 2014

My great-grandfather was listed on the Guion Miller Roll but was removed from the roll several years after he died but I can’t find out why. Under what circumstances were people removed from the rolls?

• Josiah Hair
      December 5, 2014

What was his name?? How do you believe he was listed then stricken? All apps are still listed numerically 1 thru 40 thousand those that were approved alongside those that were rejected even duplicate apps they actually say duplicate. Do you know of any other roll he maybe on? I have access and can do a name search it would be helpfull to confirm who we are looking for if I have his birthdate… Josiah

• Kamama
        December 5, 2014

His name was James Blalock (could have also used the alternate spelling Blaylock). He was born around 1815. Someone else that did a look up for me said that he was on the rolls but was removed later after death in the late 1890s. It’s been really hard researching my family surnames (Underwood and Blalock) because my family didn’t keep many records. So anything helps. Thank you.

• Josiah Hair
        December 10, 2014

I did a lookup on James Blalock or Blaylock and he was not listed, This only means that James or any of his descendants did not file a claim. The Miller roll shows at least 3 generations on the application because they were required to trace to someone listed on either 1851 or 1835 rolls. I did found several Blalocks but they all seem to descend from either William Blalock born in SC moved to Georgia in 1832 to Union County GA. Or Robert Blalock also of Union County GA. All of thier apps were rejected but the information is still there and the Roll number is still assigned to each applicant I counted 9 applicants that descend from the above listed men. I next went to the alternate spelling (Blaylock) only 6 were listed and all of them descend from George Blaylock of White county Ga. All were rejected. These applicants make up a very common group to attempt to share in the settlement that was the very reason for the Guion Miller Roll. In 1830 the State of Georgia attempted to expell the Cherokee Nation from its borders and after the president refused to step in actually started what was called a land lottery and gave away the land to white settlers. The Counties of Union and White were the first to be formed in 1832 as a result and these residents that had won the land lottery and poured into cherokee lands to settle. Years later the descendants of these settlers mistakenly believed that this made them cherokee and applied for compensation and land as a result. In all cases the commissions rejected there claims. The largest group was the Sizemore claim some 2000 claimant’s were rejected and took the US Gov to court they all claimed to descend from one man who had settled in the area…

7. Kamama
    December 5, 2014

I don’t know if he would be on any other rolls since I have so little information to work with.

8. Donna Atwood
    January 13, 2015

This is all so confusing I’m trying to pUT together my linage here’s what I know,3rd great grandfather was named James Helton his wife was named Sippie Goins.my 4th great grand father was named Little Deer and my 4th grandmother was shaddrack I think they called her sally? Then my 5th grandparents are j helton and Arsekeshke. the names were in the family bible as well as the on the 1835 henderson roll.how do I put all these people together for my family all are on my great great grandmother’s side.Lula helton.

9. Donna Atwood
    January 13, 2015

Oh there is also a grandmother named Seth a thrown in there I’m just consumed as to what order the go in sorry if I’m confusing you as well lol this is driving me crazy.thank you

• Donna Atwood
      January 13, 2015

SyTha not seth

• Donna Atwood
      January 13, 2015

Stupid spell check ruined that post I’m so sorry.