It’s Pow Wow Time – Spring Touch-ups!
The sun is shining.
The grass is green.
The weather is warm.
What can this all mean?
It indicates that POW-WOW season is starting!!
What a warm and exciting time!!!
Of course, that means that the sewing machines & beading hands are in full effect. All of the stuff we powwow moms said we would have done by Denver march – still in the works! This is what happens when we are busy super powwow moms!! But that is okay. Our babies will love the new stuff – even if it’s piece by piece!
As this spring and summer nears, we will have to prepare for our powwows.
How do you become more prepared?
Here’s my tips!
1. Shade & Chairs – you might think, why this is a bonehead move! We all know chairs and shade. But we need to make sure that our shade still has 4 good legs and we have the stakes for those windy powwows. We also need to make sure that our chairs are in good repair. This way we know if we need to replace a chair or relegate that chair to bustle & shawl holding! So check your chairs!
2. Coolers. We all know we take pop, water, and snacks to the powwow. Sometimes we pack lunch stuff or dinner break stuff. But before we can start packing our cooler – we have to make sure there are no cracks in our coolers, the spout plug is still there, and lastly make sure our lids are tight and stay closed.
3. Dance bags. Everyone needs to check your dance bags! Make sure those zippers zip and wheels still roll!!
4. Outfit repairs. Every summer we dance our outfits out. We will need to make sure our mocc’s are all together with no “blow outs” something this powwow mom is guilty of! Make sure all silver is shined, the broken bones replaced, the ribbon is burned, and feathers secure.
5. Happy Faces. We all need to be aware that we are responsible for the energy that we have. If we go to a powwow with a sour face – we will have a terrible time. But if we go with happy smiling faces – we will have a great time! Powwows are a great place to be! We reconnect with friends, with family, and learn new things from each other! Lets appreciate that we are still native and still here and be happy!!
This Powwow mom is off to get ready for this weekends powwow!
Exciting times ahead and I cannot wait to see all my friends and dance to fantastic songs!!!
One Response to “It’s Pow Wow Time – Spring Touch-ups!”
Leave a Comment
Pow Wow Calendar Search
- Native American Jobs
- Native American Colleges and Universities
- Native American Tribes
- Resources for Scouts
- Resources for Students and Teachers
- Resources for 1st Pow Wow Visitors
Ladies Cloth is a form of Native American women’s dress and dance and has both a Northern and Southern style. The Southern style is danced by the Kiowas, Osage, Ponca, and …
We are often asked how to sew ribbon, flat fringe, or yarn into dance outfits or shawls for Grass Dancing, Fancy Shawl and other dance styles. The trend is …
AMERICAN INDIAN PHOTO GALLERIES
View thousands of photos of dancing, singing, crafts and more. Share your photos online!