Johnny Depp Speaks to the Gathering of Nations

By Paul G on April 26, 2013

Johnny Depp sent a video message to the 2013 Gathering of Nations Pow Wow!

Watch the Pow Wow Live

Print Friendly
Like what you’ve read?
Join our newsletter to get the latest news from Powwows.com including Upcoming Pow Wows, new photos and videos, and more!

TOPICS: Blog, Featured, Pow Wow

13 Responses to “Johnny Depp Speaks to the Gathering of Nations”

1. Lynette Pablo says:

Omg, would have been nice if you were here Johnny ^_^
    Have to meet you one of these days :)

2. Deb says:

I couldnèt believe when i heard Johnny Depp was at a pow-wow..it gave me a nice feeling knowing he was at one..it was in New Mexico and im in Canada awwww…it still made me feel good either if he was here or there..i ve always loved watching Johnny in his movies..he such a good actor…i wish some day i could meet Johnny but thats probably never going to happen..nice thought thou..lol why would he come to Canada :(..i was once a pow wow mom until my kids starting growing up and out grew their outfits..as a single mom it was difficult to keep them going the traditional dancing.. they are now all grown up and they keep wishing they could continue dancing..i hope so because i still cant afford to keep them dancing lol..i would ve loved to have Johnny Depp watch my kids dance…good speech Johnny and great to hear you were at pow-wow, i hope you enjoyed yourself and met all kinds of nations..im Ojibway First Nations i hope some of them were ther in New Mexico…love you Johnny Depp

3. sonia quiver says:

Johnny,thankyou for your love and support for a race that washington has forgotten about.I wish you were president so something would be done about the way we are mistreated and presented in the movies nnd tv.pilamaya ye(thankyou),brother.

• chantal says:

Hi sonia,
      I agree with you, it’s good to hear the love and support of Johnny Depp. I don’t know very well your conditions (you talk about mistreatment), but concerning the presentation of the native americans in the movies, I think there has been efforts made to show indians in another way than they were shown decades ago. I am a french woman, living in France and not necessarily in the best place to apprehend all this, but this is the impression I have. Anyway, I wish you all a wonderful powwow, and if this one is over, many others wonderful gatherings (I attended one years ago, and it was for me a magic moment). Sonia, at the end of your message you say “pilamaya ye”, you are probably the daughter of this wonderful Lakota nation ! I wish you all the best ! take care. chantal (from France)

• Chantal says:

Hi Sonia ! I agree with you, it’s good to hear the support of Mr Depp. In your message you talk about “mistreatment”, being french, I don’t know the living conditions of you all,but concerning the movies, I think the image of the native american has changed, the scenarios are different, much more realistic than they were decades ago when the “indian” was presented as bad and violent. I wish you all a wonderful powwow, and if this one is over, many others wonderful gatherings ! Sonia, you end your message with “pilamaya ye”, I guess you are the daughter of the great Lakota nation, I have a deep respect for this nation in particular (I learned the history and some words of the language) ! I wish you all the best ! Chantal (from France):)

4. James Dionne says:

Thank you for your words of encouragement they are good words and many blessing upon you.It will be awesome to cross paths one day at a powwow. Thank You

5. Chantal says:

Oups, sorry… I posted two messages, thinking the first one had failed.

6. Native Truth says:

Johnny has always claimed he was CHEROKEE….and now that he got adopted into a non cherokee tribe he been doing interviews like this with candles and speaking in slow motion O.o

7. Shawnee Bill says:

So much about the claiming being Cherokee, he showed good respect, didn’t see a problem with the back ground of candles, and he always has talked slow also in he’s movies, by the way it was better then him talking in front of a Walmart’.

8. Cindy Sue "Crystal Owl Woman" says:

It’s so wonderful that Johnny has found his Path back to the People! The Old Ones must be smiling! I know I am!

9. Robert Stone Sr."Gray Feather" says:

It is always good to see anyone come back to the people,And yes The Old Ones are smiling and with their open Arms and Hearts.