Powwow Etiquette Tips for First Time Pow Wow Visitors
Pow Wow Etiquette has been handed down to know these things as children when we went to the pow wows and it was always explained that , if we had nonnative friends tagging along, these where the 4 most important rules of the trip.
Today, even though it is told at some of the pow wows in the address to the public, some don’t pay attention to what’s going on because of the excitement of being at their first pow wow.
Here are my top tips for your first time at a Pow Wow.
- Always stand respectfully during special songs. These include the Grand Entry, Flag Songs, Veteran’s Songs or any other song that the emcee designates. During these songs, men should remove their hats.
- Pointing with the fingers is considered poor manners by some tribes. If you must point, use your head and nod in the direction you wish to indicate.
- Ask permission before taking photos of dancers in regalia. If the photo is for publication or commercial use, this should be explained before the photo is taken.
- The correct term for a dancer’s outfit is regalia, not costume. Never touch a dancer’s regalia. Many of the ornaments have religious meaning and are cherished family heirlooms.
13 Responses to “Powwow Etiquette Tips for First Time Pow Wow Visitors”
Leave a Comment
Pow Wow Calendar Search
- Native American Jobs
- Native American Colleges and Universities
- Native American Tribes
- Resources for Scouts
- Resources for Students and Teachers
- Resources for 1st Pow Wow Visitors
The Straight Dance from Oklahoma Native American Tribes is a formal, tailored, prestigious form of southern dance clothes. The overall effect is of reassuring solidity, with everything closely matched and …
Sarah Agaton Howes is the latest designer to participate in Eighth Generation’s Inspired Natives Project. Sarah is an Anishinaabe artist, teacher, and emerging community organizer from Fond du Lac Reservation …
AMERICAN INDIAN PHOTO GALLERIES
View thousands of photos of dancing, singing, crafts and more. Share your photos online!