eBay Find of the Week – Native American Buckskin Purse and Pouch
The purse is made with commercially brain-tanned smoked deerskin and measures approximately 8″ x 8″ with 1/4″ thong drawstrings approximately 26″ long (flat). The matching pouches are:
- awl – approximately 6″h x 2.5″w
- strike-a-light bag – approximately 4.5″ h x 3.5″w
- knife sheath – approximately 8″h x 2.5″w
I have beaded the design with 11/0 Czech seed beads. The embellishments are genuine 8mm glass fire polish, bone hairpipe, cowrie shells, silver beads and nickle silver buttons. The front and back are hand sewn together with simulated sinew.
1. Brain-tanned – Long ago, when the Indian Hunter killed a deer, the women would make a soup, using the brains of the deer to soak the skin in, which made it soft. Then, the hide was hung over a fire, which produced the “smoked” color. Many tanners today use chemicals to tan the skins or purchase brains from butchers.
2. Seed beads – Native Americans called these “seed beads” because they were tiny like a seed.
3. Fire polish beads – Native Americans called these beads “Fire Polish” because they glistened like fire.
4. Sinew – Tendons of deer that Indians used for sewing – strong and durable (most artificial today).
You will receive the purse and 3-piece pouch set. I will include a yard of 1/4″ thong for you to hang pouches from your belt. I have shown a scan of a small flaw on the purse, which looks like a small scratch but I felt I should point it out.
If you would like to combine orders, finish all of your shopping (please do not pay individually) then request and wait for an invoice from me so I can adjust charges.
Shipping is by USPS Flat Rate Envelope. International shipping is by USPS Flat Rate Envelope at approximate cost. (check or ask seller for charges to your country, which do not include customs or other taxes).
I am a registered member of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma and a member of IACA (Indian Arts & Crafts Association).
Leave a Comment
Pow Wow Calendar Search
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
- Weekly News
- Upcoming Pow Wows
- Coupons for Shirts and Stickers
- Join over 60,000 subscribers!
Ladies Cloth is a form of Native American women’s dress and dance and has both a Northern and Southern style. The Southern style is danced by the Kiowas, Osage, Ponca, and …
BEAD AND HAIRPIPE BANDOLIERS Men’s bead and hairpipe bandoliers are common to a variety of Tribal traditional clothing styles. A number of design options are available using the same stringing …
- Native American Colleges and Universities
- Native American Tribes
- Resources for Scouts
- Resources for Students and Teachers
- Resources for 1st Pow Wow Visitors
- Pow Wows In Your State