cherokee-enrollment-card

Final Roll of the Cherokee Nation & Freedman

10 responses

1. steve morrow ( horse )
    June 7, 2012

WAS MY GRANDFATHER WALTER MORROW ( HE NEVER TOLD ME IS GIVEN NAME ) NAME LISTED ON THAT DOUCUMENT ? I CAN REMEMBER TALKING WITH HIM THREE TIME IN MY LIFE TIME HE LIVED IN OKLAHOMA , I WAS MOVED TO CALIFORNIA AT THE AGE OF 3 . I REMEMBER IT WAS A VERY SMALL HOUSE SOME MILES FROM A SMALL TOWN IF YOU WANT TO CALL IT A TOWN . HE WAS A BIG MAN AND LIKED TO SMOKE A CIGAR IF HE HAD ONE . MY FATHER DROVE US THERE TO SEE FAMILY IF HE HAD MONEY AND A CAR THAT COULD MAKE THE TRIP . MOSTLY FOR MOMS SIDE SHE WOULD GET LONELY AND MAKE HIM TAKE US THERE WAS 7 OF US MOM & DAD ARE GONE NOW .

2. steve morrow ( horse )
    June 7, 2012

OH WE USED AN OUT HOUSE ,BATHED IS A BIG TUB ON THE BACK PORCH AND PULLED ARE WATER FROM A WELL, THE FIRST TO GET A BATH GOT THE BEST WATER …….

3. Linda
    July 21, 2012

My family names are Prince preston and Castle . Lived in Kent and tenn Floyd Co Kent was last know ares Anyone know anything?

4. Josiah Hair
    January 3, 2013

One must understand that prior to the 1900’s most Fullblood Cherokees did not use a Sirname, that is an European Custom. Intermarried Cherokee Women would use their White Husbands name but if you traced her family it would be difficult to find a “Maiden” name since women were not named after their Fathers! Very Typically you would find only her first name listed with the White Husband and no last name. This is the major problem since the Indian Blood would reside with the Female, in this case it would be very difficult to trace that side and know that you have the right blood line. By Laws of the United States that woman would become a Citizen of the United States and give up her rights as a Cherokee Citizen if she moved outside the boundries of the Cherokee Nations. Until the Termination of the Cherokee Nation in 1907 we were viewed as a Sovereign Nation with full rights and laws over our own people.

5. Kim Limon
    May 16, 2014

My grandfather is
    David Crockett McBroom his father is Wiley Monroe McBroom his dad is Isacc Patton Patients McBroom his dad is Able Armstrong Mcbroom and his dad is
    James McBroom lll I would like to know if any of these men are on the Dawes roll can you help me?

• Josiah
      May 19, 2014

I did a look up on just the last Name of McBroom and had only one hit. It was regarding a very common case at this time, of a Cherokee woman and her White Husband. There names were I.N. McBroom and Elfie McBroom they are the only McBroom’s listed in either the Dawes or Miller Rolls. The case was decided in the US District court as were many of this type where a US Citizen would marry a Cherokee citizen. Previous to 1885 A Non Cherokee would receive full rights to land and citizenship if they married a Cherokee Citizen. However in the 1890’s a rash of these marriages suddenly appeared and finally the Cherokee Council passed a law regarding this issue in 1895. This couple was Married 1897 in Melvin, Indian Territory this town is under water now in what is now Lake Ft Gibson. She is a Cherokee Citizen born in 1857 Tahlequah District and this was her third marriage, her Maiden name is Dance she is the Daughter of Jack Dance a white man and Susan Bushyhead a Cherokee Citizen. They rejected his claim and his number is R92 (Which means rejected 92nd case) her Dawes Card Number is 1843 and they assigned a Roll number of 27353 to her. They did not have children and she was assigned citizenship in 1905. I was surprised that she did not file for Miller Compensation in 1907 for some reason unless she filed under a different name, I did look up her three married names and maiden name to no avail. I searched for what the initials of I.N. McBroom meant and found none (apparently it was all the rage to just give initials!!)

6. Louise Crowley
    June 15, 2014

My ancestors surname: NIVENS (july and sallie) are my great great grandparents. July is my maternal grandmother’s grandfather. Can’t find any info on their children (specifically their daughter, “Jessie” who is my great grandmother. They are all on Dawes final roll (except for ‘Sallie’

• Josiah Hair
      June 16, 2014

July Nivens age 25 was listed on Dawes Card 118 as a Cherokee Freedman. He lists 5 Children: Lila Nivens Born 4 Aug 1897, Jessie Nevins Born 14 Aug 1898, Hanson Nivens Born 17 Oct 1899, Webb Nivens Born 26 Feb 1901 and Dennis Nivens Born 26 April 1902. Furthermore in the Dawes Packet it lists Lila Nivens died 1 Oct 1902. He originally enrolled on 4 April 1901 at Ft Gibson he lists his Residence as Illinois District. He lists his Wife as Sallie Nivens maiden name Mayfield she was a claimant for citizenship, she does not have status as Cherokee by blood or freedman she was born outside the Nation so not enrolled. He lists his parents as Isaac and Louisa Nevins.