Native American on America’s Next Top Model

By Paul G on March 1, 2012

Mariah Watchman from Pendleton, Oregon is one of the contestants on America’s Next Top Model.  She grew up on the Umatilla Indian Reservation.  As part of her first photo shot on the show she was asked to dress as Pocahontas.

“As soon as I heard what the competition was, I knew that’s who I would be,” Watchman said from Miami, where she recently bought a home. “I was completely fine with it. There’s no one else I’d want more to portray. It’s someone everybody knows.”  said Mariah.

“Most people don’t know about natives and how we live,” she said. “When they ask what I am, they always assume I’m Latina. I have to let them know I’m Native American and will say, ‘As in Pocahontas.’ I always have to refer to her anyway.” said Mariah.

Read more about Mariah in the Oregon Live.

Watch Mariah compete on CW.

America's Next Top Model

TOPICS: Blog, Featured, Native American Culture, Native Profiles, News

8 Responses to “Native American on America’s Next Top Model”

1. Jessie Mutteloke says:

I think that Mariah is in a position to education some of the people about her Native American’s. she shouldn’t have to refer to Pocahontas, for people to realize who Native Americans are. As far her portarying her, I guess she was the best choose, if she was going to be in the shoot anyhow, then to have someone else do it.

2. a.poucette says:

she already got booted….. :( too sad geez

3. JValdez says:

She got booted already?! That sucks! I was hopeing for her to win!

4. Jicarilla Apache Women says:

Mariah is in a very good place. She is a Native American women and she can make a change in young girls lives and educate those people that don’t know much about Native Americans. She don’t have to refer herself to Pocahuntas. She should refer back to her tribe and where she came from first. It is always good to see Native Americans on TV rather than the movies. I hope Mariah keeps up the good work she is doing and bring awareness to all things Native. And I hope more Native people get out there and reach their dreams. Whatever you put your mind to you can accomplish anything.

5. Rhonda says:

Yes she has gotten booted— but has plans for her future…is not giving up— has a very positive outlook at life and where she is heading — watch for her in the future…she has many positive things lined up that you will want to see.

6. kickingbird says:

the winner is obamas daughter runners up is some political senators cousin.absolutely fixed.hokahey