Live Chat for 20/20 Special – Hidden America

By Paul G on October 14, 2011

TOPICS: Featured, PowWows.com

9 Responses to “Live Chat for 20/20 Special – Hidden America”

1. Debra Rincon Lopez says:

I know exactly how bad it is on PINE RIDGE Rez, I used to live there for 4 yrs. I doubt that it has changed much? It so sad but that’s not the ONLY Indian REZ like that in the USA. THERE are so many Native AMERICAN people who still live in Poverty even in big CITIEs. I lived on 4-5 rez’s & visited alot more it’s still a way of life for us.

2. Debra Rincon says:

3. Deborah Storm says:

I hope that there will be changes in the near future to this community. Please WAKE up BUSINESSES and help these people build jobs and a TRUE place to thrive and survive! I hope all the children grow to be happy and successful.

4. Dianne Howard says:

Perhaps people could send crocheted or knit hats and scarfs to the schools in Pine Ridge for the children. If these things are sent directly to the schools, they could distribute these things to the children right there at school. No middle man involved.

5. spiritweaver says:

I’ve just come from the live forum.; anybody here yet? looking for the live chat

6. Montyjack says:

The wretched alcoholism of Pine Ridge tears at my heart. Seeing the handsome young man alone and crying over his Mother’s cruelty made the happy sober reunion all the more joyful. It was disappointing, though, that the highest ranking rez official to speak was the police captain. As represented by business persons, it seems up to the young to strive for education, want to return to the rez and return honor and dignity to whole families. Though the young man (dancer) and his family have very little in terms of material possessions, they were properly gracious to their guest Ms. Sawyer; such character!

7. Anung Qwei says:

My sister lives in Rapid City. She has told me many bad things about the pine ridge. The alchohol abuse is the one thing that is bringing it down. But until the drunks decide to stop drinking and become a strong nation, the children will suffer. Many have tried to help. When anyone recieves help such as a habitat home, the drunks just destroy it in anger.They do not like to see anyone try to better them selves. Unless you scoop up all the drunks and remove them to a detox area and council them, things will continue to get worse for the children.

8. Montyjack says:

The local alcohol abuse advisor made the very valid point that ordinary AA or other 12 step programs do not work well on the rez, that older people are in such misery and despair that they’ve given up hope. With the estimated 70-80% alcoholism rate cited on the show, I wonder if an entire generation is lost. As the advisor said, we need to protect the younger ones against alcoholic neglect and abuse and give them tools for work and education. I respectfully disagree with Anung Qwei’s comment about enforcing detox; it simply does not work. The moment a drunk gets out, he or she will head to the liquor store. It’s an inner decision to fight the disease, and it’s the roughest fight to win, especially when all around you, your people are caught up in it.