By Paul G on July 29, 2011
22 Comments

Alabama-Coushatta Tribes of Texas Carlos Bullock (Chairman)
571 State Park Road 56 Livingston TX 77351
: (936) 563-1100 : (936) 563-1139 Website: http://www.alabama-coushatta.com
Ysleta del Sur Pueblo Frank Paiz (Governor)
P.O. Box 17579 El Paso TX 79917
: (915) 859-8053 : (915) 859-4252 Website: http://www.ysletadelsurpueblo.org
Kickapoo Traditional Tribe of Texas Juan Garza, Jr. (Chairman)
HCR 1 Box 9700 Eagle Pass TX 78852
: (830) 773-2105 : (830) 757-9228

22 Responses to “Texas Native American Tribes”

1. AGMartinez says:

I was hoping to find information of tribes and locations in the southwest area in the State of Texas from the coastal region of Corpus Christi down to South Padre and back up to Laredo, Texas.
    My Grandfather was born in 1880′s in Brownsville, Texas and family information say that he was “puro Indio.” I know he was a renouned horseman in his time and worked numerous “ranchos grandes” with horses. He was a family man but traveled throughout South Texas family in tote.
    I have read and researched but have not found ‘sound’ information to hopefully find my “Texas Native American” heritage.

2. Thomas Zermeno says:

Try the “Lipan Apache tribe of Texs”

• Kristina says:

I live in a part of Corpus Christi, TX called Annaville between Calallen & Tuloso Midway. I have been finding pieces of turquoise in my backyard for about 6 months. I think I get it all but then more pieces start to come up though the soil. I was told but our local librarian that where my house stands used to be an old trade route. Can someone email me & explain why turquoise is coming up though my soil to the top. It seems strange to me.

• Kristina says:

Sorry for all the comments the website kept telling me to try again just use the first one.

Kristina

3. Maria Ruiz says:

I am a Master’s student at Angelo State University. My father’s grandmother was an Indian from El Naciemiento in Musquiz in the state of Coahuila, Mexico. We have a photo of my Indian greatgrandmother. My father and two uncles are pictured with her. I have done some research and have found that both the Lipan Apache and the Kickapoo were in Muzquiz. How can I found out more information about my Indian culture? I would greatly appreciate any help with this.

Maria Ruiz

4. norma drennan says:

my mon was born in corpus christi and her fam came from port isabela and she use to tell me her grandma belong to the carrizo tribe. Does any one know of this tribe

5. Patsy Nester says:

I am a librarian at an Elementary school in San Antonio, TX. I would love to be able to have someone contact me to see if it would be possible to have someone or a small group come and speak to our 4th grade classes about their culture, the importance of their heritage, and their history here in Texas. Budget cuts have forced us into a situation where we are not able to take day trips and have very limited funds to pay for a group to come to our school. Can you refer me to an organization that visits Elementary schools in San Antonio, TX area? Thanks for any help you can suggest.

6. margaret murrell says:

My mother’s mother was part cherokee now my father is puertorican,my father sister said I have more of the spanish side who do I speak;to about what tribe would I be from

7. erlinda says:

Does anyone know if there are any Pow Wows in the Corpus Christi, Texas area?

8. Jenora says:

I was adopted at the age of 2 and was told later by my biological mother that my biological father was full blooded Indian. She was in Fort Stockton, TX. at the time and told me at that time my father was supposedly in the military. She also said that he was 50ish and his name was Bill Colors. How can I find out if I am part Indian and what tribe??

9. Bobbi Mansfield says:

I am opening a trade days in Cresson TX… I would like to host any American Tribes to come out all through the year and put on Pow Wows, Dancing, Singing, and or Music. I would love to offer my place as a way for people to learn more about the Native Americans and their culture. Could anyone point me in the right direction? We are looking to start April 15, 2014.

10. Malasia says:

Hi, I’ve been trying to look up information on my family and its so hard because no body knows anything. my great grandparents that couldve helped me are now dead. The only thing I’ve gotten was that my grandfather was born is Weslaco, TX. He doesn’t know the tribe he just knows were Apache which is no help at all. I’m just so clueless right now and could use all the help I can get.

11. A.I. Knight says:

My maternal grandmother Cruz shared that we were from the Kickpu tribe. My maternal great-grandmother Patricina Garicia migrated back and forth through Texas with Cruz and son, Agustino Garcia from Tierra ( Sierra?) Mojada, Coahuila and eventually lived on the Ft. Wingate Rez, then the town of Wingate, New Mexico. My grandmother and her brother Augustino have the same father. I met my great-grandmother Patricina when I was 12 yrs old. She was very tall and thin lady.She is buried in Gallup, NM. My maternal grandmother Cruz’s father was named Indalicio Garcia. I do believe the Kickupu Tribe is our ancestral tribe, but all I have is bits and pieces @ this time. Written records years ago were almost non-existent. I have this deep seated quest to learn more about my Native roots. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• KM says:

A.I.,
      Fort Wingate, NM is near the Navajo reservation, it is an old military storage from WWI & II. The majority of the people living there now work at the Fort Wingate schools (high school, middle, elementary schools)and belong to the Navajo Nation.
      I have family living there and in Gallup, NM and no one I know recalls any of names you mentioned. You may want to check cemetary & death records in Gallup, NM/McKinley County. Maybe even the school may have some information since at one time it was a boarding school. Hope you find what your looking for.