By Paul G on July 29, 2011
11 Comments

Crow Creek Sioux Tribe Brandon Sazue (Chairman)
P.O. Box 50 Fort Thompson SD 57339
: (605) 245-2221 : (605) 245-2470
Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe Joseph Brings Plenty, Sr. (Chairman)
P.O. Box 590 Eagle Butte SD 57625
: (605) 964-4155 : (605) 964-4151 Website: http://www.sioux.org
Flandreau Santee Sioux Tribe Joshua Weston (President)
P.O. Box 283 Flandreau SD 57028
: (605) 997-3891 : (605) 997-3878 Website: http://www.fsst.org
Lower Brule Sioux Tribe Michael B. Jandreau (Chairman)
187 Oyate Circle Lower Brule SD 57548
: (605) 473-5561 : (605) 473-5606 Website: http://www.lbst.org
Sisseton-Wahpeton Oyate of the Lake Traverse Reservation Michael Selvage, Sr. (Chairman)
P.O. Box 509 Agency Village SD 57262-0509
: (605) 698-3911 : (605) 698-7907
Yankton Sioux Tribe Robert Cournoyer (Chairman)
P.O. Box 248 Marty SD 57361-0248
: (605) 384-3641 : (605) 384-5687
Rosebud Sioux Tribe Rodney Bordeaux (President)
P.O. Box 430 Rosebud SD 57570
: (605) 747-2381 : (605) 747-2905 Website: http://www.rosebudsiouxtribe-nsn.gov
Oglala Sioux Tribe of the Pine Ridge Reservation Theresa Two Bulls (President)
P.O. Box 2070 Pine Ridge SD 57770
: (605) 867-6074 : (605) 867-6076 Website: http://www.oglala.org

11 Responses to “South Dakota Native American Tribes”

1. Trisha Christian says:

Hi, I have been discovering my spirituality and have asked my guides to show themselves. I was shown a male elder in full beaded buckskin. When I asked which tribe, I was told, Sioux. I did not really know my father or his family. They were Norwegian and they lived somewhere in S. Dakota. My baby ring was made by the black foot or Black hill Indians. I am very interested to learn of the tribe that would be associated with the black hills and near a Norwegian settlement. I want to study their spiritual teachings.
    I greatly appreciate any help or guidance you can provide.
    Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
    Trisha Christian

2. Trisha Christian says:

How woukd i go about selecting an elder? And what is the protocol?
    Thank you so much for getting back to me.
    Trisha

3. Michael Rappa says:

Hello my name is Michael, my father’s name is Michael as well he was born in Sioux, SD in 1955 and was adopted by my grandmother Mary who was also born and raised on the reserves prior to adopting my father, I recently had a conversation with my father and found out this information, is there a way i can find my fathers family in Sioux, SD.

4. William H. Bassett says:

I thought you’d like this:

Tribal court’s chief judge works for Yurok-style justice
    Abby Abinanti metes out a more community-based form of justice for tribal members — starting with the question, ‘Who’s your mom?’

Yurok Court

I thought you’d like this:

Yurok tribe’s wellness court heals with tradition
    KLAMATH, Calif. — Lauren Alvarado states it simply: “Meth is everywhere in Indian country.”

5. Pelagia says:

Hello,my name is Pelagia and i am just reaching out to someone who knew Mene Whitedove.Who knew him will know my name to.We where going to get married in 2012……….but The Great Spirit took him home to the spirit world 12/15/2011 and left me devastated behind.Mee was counsilmember and sister Autumn-Fire is chozen a few years ago in the counsil.
    Please contact me.Please.
    As Mene called me
    Miss Pritty Pelagia Rosy Cheeks.

6. Theresa says:

I am searching fory family here is why. My grandmother was full Oglala Sioux. I never knew my mothers side as I was raised by my dad’s mother. She was very racist and besides calling me half breed, heathen, cutting my hair short and telling me I belonged to “my mothers people” when I acted up as a teenager. Sadly my mothers family has all passed away from what I can tell. So I am searching genealogy records and ancestry.com has been a dead end.

I am told she was Oglala and I have been given two names Loretta Morningstar and Loretta Wakefield. Wakefield being her married name. She married an Irish man and lived in and around the St. Louis, MO area as an adult. My father met her several times and said that he asked her once what tribe she belonged to and she said Oglala Lakota Sioux.

So for almost 50 years I have wanted to find if any members oft fily are still out there. She would have been born anywhere from 1900-1921. She was 21 in 1942 when my mother was born so hope my math is right. I will continue to try to find documents in Missouri but where would I find a census of Native Americans in their tribes? I do not even know if Morningstar was her name or a surname. Any suggestions would be appreciated

7. emily king says:

i am a oglala sioux and i am trying to find my mother betty black bear and my fother timothey king my name is emily king do you know my parents if you do or can find out weretheey are plesse let me konw thanks a lot i was adopted when i was a baby so i dont know what they look like or whatthey do