South Carolina Native American Tribes

12 responses

1. John A
    March 11, 2012

For State Recognized SC tribes, please see the following website: http://southcarolinaindianaffairs.com/members.html

2. Randy
    March 14, 2013

http://southcarolinaindianaffairs.com/members.html is not a government website, and holds no official authority to recognize tribes.

3. Susan Barrientos
    January 6, 2014

I’m trying to verify my Native roots. We were told we were Cherokee from South Carolina.

4. kathleen Robinette Meade
    January 23, 2014

I AM LOOKING FOR MY GGGGRANDMA’S TRIBE.HER NAME WAS Thankful Hun,born in Williiam Penn’s time. was married to my ggggrand pa ellias Francis;moved to ,their son or gson moved to Kentucky in early 1800’s.could you tell me her tribe or any info .she may have been Ssooni too .i don’t know ,i have been trying and looking fo 25 years.It took me 15 years to find her name,I was so touched and happy to find it,I cried for days.I pray for you and your help. GOD BLESS

5. pamela crowley
    April 16, 2014

Cherokee powwow nearby Please

6. Jesse D Carter
    May 19, 2014

I’ve been told that my great grand father was full blooded Catawba. His name was Sylvanus Branch, born 5-24-1873, possibly in Burke County, NC. He died 7-8-1908, in Morganton, NC. I believe he was the son of David and Martha Branch. His daughter was Lula Mae Branch ( Yount )( my grandmother ), born 9-2-1899, possibly in Burke County, NC. She died 2-17-1936, in Hickory, NC. My mother was Helen Ruth Yount ( Carter ), born 12-30-1929, in Hickory, NC. She died 10-20-2009, in Paris, Tn. I am trying to get information on my Catawba ancestry so I can join the Catawba( Nation )tribe. [email protected] , 731-364-6849.

7. Pamelia Franco
    October 16, 2014

My sister and I were told that we are descendents of the Black Dutch Tribe. I believe they derived from the Cherokee, I have no other information than that, We were born in South Carolina, and North Carolina stateline area was where some of our relatives were from. Any help??

8. Tequisha
    October 20, 2014

Hey I have been told all my life that I am indian, because of my hair. That my father is Indian I did not get a chance to ask him because he died, but a know that I am different.I have take to Ms. Donna Curtis, if you can help me my father name is Teedie LaRue Moore his birthplace. Was SouthCarolina. Thanks you all it’s been a long time get to get this far.3

9. VICKIE
    January 21, 2015

just found out im Cherokee all I know is in 1837 when they ran them down the trail of tears my family was among about 300 that took off they slaughtered almost half of them but the rest got away and made it my family lived thru this would like to know more about the ones that never got rounded up an held on the reservation